Thursday, January 31, 2013

Continuum of Responses



     Creating a learning environment that is conducive to learning begins with the teacher setting the tone for the rest of the students. This begins with the teacher and the students creating rules together that creates a positive classroom environment and does not tolerate actions such as bullying or being interruptive towards other classmates. When a teacher sets her standards high for her students and expects them to meet the standards then the students are more likely to rise to the occasion.      In the case of Lisa, after observing the group and seeing the new dynamics I would have a meeting with the group. In this meeting I would remember the essentials of preserving the students dignity, avoiding a power struggle, and checking your assumptions. I would then generate a discussion in the group about what they believe is going on in the group. I would let each child have a turn to voice their opinion and then I would also state what I saw in the group without specifically bringing attention to Lisa. I would then let them know that I would be monitoring the group more closely during the coming activities and if I saw a student or Lisa not participating I would first try to give them "the look" or approach the desk and just tap the desk or the table to let them know that I was watching.
     If the above strategies did not work I would then pull Lisa aside and have a discussion with her about her behavior and how it is not appropriate for the classroom and how everyone in the classroom must contribute to the learning environment. During the entire year I would be  incorporating self regulation into the curriculum using ideas from the responsive classroom (article below) to give students options on how to deal with their behavior. I would also work with the fellow teachers on my team to see if they have suggestions or ideas on how to address the situation.  If the behavior still does not change I would then contact Lisa's parents via telephone and ask if they have seen a change in Lisa's behavior and talk about how they might be able to address the situation with Lisa. If getting the parents involved still did not help the situation I would then go to the guidance counselor in the school and have a meeting with her about the situation. I would catch her up on what has been done and Lisa's response to the prior interventions and then see what she could do and if she has techniques that might vary than what I had originally tried. I do not think it would get to this case because I believe this situation could be taken care of in the first couple of steps with a diligent teacher that promotes a positive classroom environment. 



Article:

This is an article about the responsive classroom where it talks about how to help children care and work together in groups. It also focues on self control and the classroom community. They also have a book that is a great resource (used for another class) and a website that is great for teacher to get ideas. 

http://www.eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPortal/search/detailmini.jsp?_nfpb=true&_&ERICExtSearch_SearchValue_0=ED369531&ERICExtSearch_SearchType_0=no&accno=ED369531

3 comments:

  1. Emily, I like how you said when a teacher sets high standards that students are more likely to rise to the occasion, I agree with that! When it comes to the case study I liked the idea of having a meeting with the entire group. This way you can get all sides of the story, and get a feel for what is really happening. It can be hard to gather this information during the day with the whole class together. I really like the approach of not pointing out Lisa at first, but letting the group know that you will be watching them closely during group time. I loved how you said you would give "the look". I also wrote something like this in my blog. It is so funny how students always know exactly what "the look" means. I like how you also talked about getting the guidance counsler involved. Sometimes it is best to have another opinion, and other perspectives when looking for solutions. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily,

    I like that you're incorporating self-regulation into your intervention continuum - it's something that's so important to start young. Your resource is great too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that you have some really awesome ideas about creating a productive learning environment! I also think that your continuum for dealing with the case study was very well thought out. It's important to address all aspects of the situation and I really liked how you emphasized preserving the students dignity, avoiding power struggle, and checking assumptions!

    ReplyDelete