Monday, January 21, 2013

Motivation


Consider the theories of motivation that we discussed in class.   Which theories of motivation are most helpful and instructive for you?  How can they enhance motivation and affect your students?  

I think it is really important for teachers and educators to understand motivation. It is critical to be able to engage children and motivate them to learn and work in the classroom. I think personally it is important to know effective ways to motivate children but also the knowledge of how to encourage intrinsic motivation. Reading the story in class of a teacher who failed to realize how much children relied on homework passes shows how communication between teachers and honest feedback is very important and valuable to teachers.

I find the self-determination theory very interesting. I really like it because the teacher is really trying to build the intrinsic motivation within the student but they are still helping them by providing select extrinsic motivators.  If the teacher is not selective in what they are choosing to reward with an extrinsic motivator it could quickly turn into solely extrinsic motivation instead of trying to develop the intrinsic motivation. Young children often find things very interesting in school and if the teacher has created an environment that they will want to learn in the self-determiantion theory would be very useful. I think it is important to let the children take the lead because i have seen in my experience they will be more invested in the topic. 


Here is a blog that I found that had tips to help grow students intrinsic motivation. I found it helpful and very easy to read and it reminded me of some ways to fuel intrinsic motivation with the self-determination theory. 

3 comments:

  1. Great insight. I wonder - if you have to create extrinsic motivators for your students, what would you do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really into self determination theory also. I also feel like self efficacy goes hand in hand with intrinsic as well. If we can help students to feel good about their learning and knowledge and associate that with high self efficacy, I believe it can lead to a development in intrinsic motivations. I really like that blog I think it will be a great resource for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Emily! I'm going to be following your blog this semester.
    I definitely agree with you, self-determination is really important. I also really loved the link that you posted. The 8 ways to fuel intrinsic motivation are great strategies to use in a classroom. It's crucial for students to want to learn, instead of only doing well enough to receive a reward. Although, rewards and praise are good for encouragement, teachers should be cognizant of how they are used.

    ReplyDelete